C-J Advisory, Inc. — Holistic Financial Planning
We are an independent financial services firm that, since 1980, has offered consultation and advice on all components of financial planning. We believe that an integrated (holistic) approach is the best way to assist our clients in realizing their financial and lifestyle goals (i.e., investments relate to cash flow, which relates to income taxes, and estate taxes, and insurance coverages, and home mortgage financing, and charitable gifting, and wealth creation, and career transitions, and retirement choices).
C-J Advisory, Inc.|
2060 The Alameda
San Jose, CA 95126
Phone: (408)-345-2890 | Fax: (408) 345-2896
Our philosophy is to solve problems holistically and remove obstacles — while honoring the unique situation of each client. We do this by providing neutral, objective guidance and education for all types of financial decisions, as well as finding the most cost-effective way to implement those decisions.
Our philosophy is based on the belief that service is the highest form of human relationship. Hence, we are committed to providing a full range of high-quality financial planning services to individuals and corporations. The relationship formed with clients is strong and long-lasting. The partnership is based on trust.
- Educate so that you can make informed choices.
- Provide personal attention, mentoring, and support to keep you on track.
- Save you time and hassle by handling all administrative details.
- Find the most cost-effective way to implement your decisions.
- Operate so as to earn your lifelong trust
The Ideal Client
- Is committed (to their financial planning process)
- Is a delegator (type of person who does not have the time, training or expertise to "do their own thing")
- Has long term (big picture) perspective (i.e. understands wealth creation is a marathon, not a sprint)
- Is ethical (appreciates honesty, integrity, transparency, and clear communication)
- Is patient (understands research and administrative processes may take a few days)
- Has a sense of humor
- Is responsive (to CJA requests for information)
- Has a willingness to have a trusting relationship
- Is pleasant to deal with (positive attitude/demeanor)
- Is open minded (willing to entertain new concepts and ideas)
- Is cognizant of value of services provided (appreciates all the "extras")
- Wants CJA to manage/oversee all assets (Client prefers only one Financial Advisor)
- Is open to life planning (Life centered perspective and approach to Financial Planning)
- Wants CJA as the coordinator of their financial team (CPA, Attorney, Bookkeeper)
- Has assets minimum of $1 million (Minimum may be waived for referrals from existing clients, or friends of the firm)
I. GUIDANCE, ADVICE, COACHING
II. ESTATE PLANNING AND WEALTH TRANSFER
III. TAX RELATED
V. INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT
VI. REAL ESTATE
VII. INSURANCE ANALYSIS
VIII. EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
IX. MEETING PREPARATION/PRESENTATION
Kyle Thompson, Financial Advisor, joined the C-J Advisory Team in November 2016. After earning his Bachelor’s degree in Finance from Michigan State University, he has spent nearly 10 years helping clients achieve their financial AND personal goals. He spent the past 5 years at TD Ameritrade working with individuals, families, and small businesses. He takes a holistic approach to each client’s unique situation and prides himself on providing advice to enhance every aspect of their financial life.
Kyle holds insurance licenses for Life, Disability and Health along with his Accredited Investment Fiduciary (AIF®) professional designation.
Outside of the office, Kyle maintains an active lifestyle with his wife Ashley. Together they enjoy golfing, mountain biking, playing ice hockey, photography and walking their two dogs.
Q: What does "Holistic, Integrated Financial Planning" mean?
Another name for this is "Life Planning."
- In addition to integrating all the financial components listed in the "What We Do" section, we assist clients in discovering what they really want from their lives, or for their future, or what their right and perfect (next) career might be, or what activity might bring the most emotional satisfaction, or what legacy they want to leave behind (in addition to money), or what values they hold; what learning experiences they've acquired that they want to share now and/or pass on to future generations.
Some other monikers that clients have used to describe what I do are: Life Coach, Guide.
Q: How are you different from a "regular" Financial Planner?
- We address ALL components of the financial planning process, not just investment strategies. We are educators for those who want to learn about personal finance and pensions and taxes and investing etc. In our current world, we are bombarded with a constant stream of data, literally 24 hours per day.
Sooner or later, we realize that information is NOT knowledge, so we need someone whom we trust to translate, explain, advise, or implement.
Q: Why do I have to fill out a Cash Flow Statement?
- It is critically important for both of us to know where your money goes after it comes into the house. It isn't about budgeting for the purpose of sacrificing now for a future lifestyle; it's not about judgment; it's about finding out if there is any cash left over after the living expenses are handled, and, if so, how much.
- Is there enough to start funding an account for college expenses?
- Enough to fully fund ALL retirement accounts you are eligible for (if becoming financially independent at an early age is a goal)?
- Enough to pay for a proper estate plan?
- Enough to set up and fund charitable activities?
- Enough to buy a second home in Spain?
- Enough to buy your first home here?
- Cash Flow tracking is often the most difficult task for clients to do (because of all the emotional baggage tied to money and how we spend it). It is also the most liberating revelation when the project is done. It is an easy process when software (like Quicken) is utilized.
If there is, it then leads to these questions:
We help people use their money to make a life — rather than use their life to make money.
C-J Advisory, Inc.2060 The Alameda
San Jose, CA 95126
Fax: (408) 345-2896
- Kyle Thompson
- Beth Doyle
- Susanna Wagner
- Shirley Cook
- Marina Widjaja
- Cathy Martin
- Jen Wong
- Pat Graham
- Ricardo Rangel
- Sandy Chu
Staff(Click for info)
Kyle Thompson, AIF®Financial Advisor
(408) 345-2890, Ext 128